Thursday, October 31, 2013

my concept map on this issue and TAKING ACTION

THIS IS MY MAP, IT IS SO BIG YOU CANNOT VIEW THE WHOLE THING, BUT CLICK ON IT AND IT WILL SHOW THE WHOLE THING IF YOU BLOW IT UP.

some images of the industry:

and some images of questioning cheap garments

My activism is first, to research possibly activism organization, which I did via first reading the news to see what is happening.  What I found particularily inspiring was University of Michigan having a vigil for the victims in Bangladesh...And their goal is to get the university to divest their garments from being made in sweatshops in Bangaldesh.  http://www.michigandaily.com/news/vigil-raises-awareness
It made me wonder if that would be one way to make change, to get the sports wear at a college to change their source to a local company?  
While looking for petitions I found a recent current event by cnn no less about how even though all these deaths occurred, 7 more people died in a deadly factory fire due to heat in a chimney and poor conditions and how nothing is changing over there http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/opinion/bangladesh-garment-workers/
this linked me to an article about an act that was put into play in July (and there is an image of a woman looking at the name list of those who died to find a loved one)  and it shares how this act does not do much for them, but some improvement, kind of.http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/07/15/bangladesh-amended-labor-law-falls-short
But for now, I took action by signing a petition
so this search was NOT EASY!  I found it not by googling, but through facebook search and I found waronwant.  i love the title of this.
and this linked me to a change.org petition.
signed it:
BUT I ALSO EMAILED GAP and asked them questions, and emailed other companies too.  I think as a buyer, that is important.  The next step is to question their antics on their facebook page.  


No comments: